Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Food for Fall

September 26, 2012


Fall is officially here and I am enjoying every bit of it!  I've decorated the house with orange and red foliage as well as my pumpkin table runner and an orange and rust colored wreath.  Love it!!!  But not only did I decorate with pumpkins, I made the best pumpkin bread!! It is a recipe my sister, Lori, gave me years ago. (Look for it at the end of this post!)

I love this time of year! It brings out the "baker" in me! I am not a cook of any sort, but I love to bake and the best time to do that is when temperatures hit below 70 degrees, as they have been this past week! I get out the crock pot during the days I work and make hot dishes other days...like my potato soup! It was a recipe given to me by my friend, Jessica, and it is devoured as soon as I set the bowls out!!! YUM!!! Getting hungry just thinking about it!!! 

So, what are your favorite fall foods?  Any particular one you favor over others?  Well, get out your oven mitts and start cookin'!!!

 
Pumpkin Bread


1 2/3 c. flour                                          1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/4 c. sugar                                         1/2 tsp.  nutmeg
1 tsp. baking soda                                  1/4 tsp. salt
 
Other ingredients:
 
2 eggs                      1 c. canned 100% pure pumpkin
1/2 c. oil                  1/2 c. chopped pecans (optional)


Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.  Add 1/2 cup chopped pecans to above mixture. Mix well and set aside. Combine 2 eggs slightly beaten, 1/2 cup oil, 1/3 cup water, and 1 cup canned pumpkin.  Mix well.  Add to dry ingredients. Mix well.  Spoon into greased 9x5x3 loaf pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 60-75 minutes or until done. 
 
You can sprinkle powdered sugar on top or leave plain and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, preferably while warm.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment