Saturday, September 8, 2012

Ramblings to a Beginning

September 8, 2012

It's 1:39 a.m., and I am unable to sleep.  I recently lost my father and have been spending a lot of time thinking about him. I miss his goofy laugh, or, truth be known, it was more of a cackle.  I miss his teasing and his nickname, "Leelee," that he used to call me when he wasn't upset with me.  I miss hearing him pray in his "prayer closet" and seeing him worship at church.  And the list could go on and on.  Mostly, I just miss him. Period.  

As far as Christians go, my dad was the real deal.  He loved Jesus and would tell anyone he ran into about Him.  If he could get you to the baptismal water, he would've dunked you on the spot. He never missed an opportunity to pray for others...even in the last days he was alive and in extreme pain. 

My dad wasn't always on fire for God.  He had a lot to overcome in his life.  (To protect the guilty, I won't go into detail.)  Very few men could change like my dad did.  It can be attributed to the Spirit of God inside him, but he had to want to change.  The zeal he had while he was living for himself was magnified a hundred times over when he started living for God.  He became an example for me and my children.  I remember him as a stern father while my children will always remember him as "fun-loving Grandpa."  I will miss him terribly, but know that one day I will see him again.

So, while I got caught up in the past there for a bit, you may wonder what this all has to do with the title of my blog.  Well, pretty much nothing.  I just wanted to talk about my dad for a while.  But I will explain the title of my blog. *wink wink*

Isaiah 7:15 says, "Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may refuse to know the evil, and choose the good."  Though this verse of scripture refers to the prophecy of the Messiah, it can be a lesson for us today.  I only want to put right things into my mind and heart, not the bad.  To think on the positive and not the negative.  As a mother, I share the good with my children: the Bible, life lessons, how to treat others.  I want to shield them from bad influences, bullies, wrong images on the television or on billboards.  By doing this, they will know what choices to make and which ones to avoid. 

And the same for you, the reader.  I want to only share those things that are positive and uplifting, or things that make you smile and, maybe, even ponder a little on your own lives and the choices you will be making. 

Now, it's 2:04 a.m. and I'm pretty much beat.  Must...get...sleep!  For now, God bless and happy dreams! 



No comments:

Post a Comment