Thursday, June 6, 2013

Easy to Sew Maxi Skirt With A Yoga Waistband

This is my first attempts at making a skirt with a yoga waist band.  I can't believe I actually got it!!!  I will say, however, I took directions from the website  http://www.makeit-loveit.com.   They show how to put the yoga waistband on a child's skirt.  So, here goes!!!

*************************************

First, you can take a skirt or easy pattern and pin it to the fabric for your own skirt. I actually used a skirt pattern and just cut an a-line skirt out on two pieces of fabric, one for the back and one for the front and then pinned them, right sides together.  


After pinning, I sewed a 1/2 inch basting stitch on both side seams and then sewed 1/4 inch from that.  Then I pulled the basting stitch out...very carefully!!



Next, I measured the waist and doubled that.  (For example, if the waste is 16 inches across, you would make the band 32 inches.)  After measuring, I cut a band from leftover material and sewed the ends together.  


Next, with wrong side out, fold over in half, as pictured below.  This will hide the seam that you have sewn.



After you fold the material over, turn the skirt RIGHT SIDE OUT and line up the edge of the skirt with the edge of the waistband.  Now, this is tricky, so listen carefully.  You will slip the folded edge over the skirt FIRST and then line the raw edges together.  The FOLDED edge of the waistband will be on the bottom!  Pin raw edges together.



Sew the waistband to the skirt.  I used 1/2 inch stitch.  (Now, my directions vary a little from the ones given on the above mentioned website, but it worked for me.)  


Voila!!  Your waistband is complete!!!  You can iron the seam down if you so choose.  I didn't and it looked fine.


Last, sew up your hem to the desired length and you are ready to go!! These last two photos do not do the skirt justice (and I am too embarrassed to be a "model" for anything!!!), but the skirt did turn out really cute!!




It is really easy to make this skirt!  I am not a seamstress at all, so if I can do it, so can you, too!!!  Have fun!!  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment