Wednesday, June 19, 2013

He's Growing Up...And Playing Football!

My husband signed our 9-year-old son up for football, much to my chagrin.  Yes, I am one of those moms.  I worry over my kids like crazy.  If someone hurts them, look out!!! But what if they hurt themselves?
Let me give you some examples.

The other night, my son got a splinter in his finger.  It could have easily been pulled out by the tweezers because part of it was sticking out anyway.  What does he do?  He fights me and starts crying hysterically, "It's going to hurt! It's going to hurt!"   I got part of it out but had to wait for the rest to come out on it's own.

Tonight, he was playing basketball with his friends in our driveway.  One of the boys throws the ball at the goal, but misses by a long shot and it hits Jake in the eye.  He comes in crying hysterically (again!) with his hand over his swollen eye.  Again, I wanted to take matters into my own hands.  Of course, he claims it was an accident.

I'm not sure I can watch him get hit or bruised by other kids or get yelled at by the coach.  (I have a friend who was a football coach for middle school and he claims he was mean sometimes because he had to be. I have a hard time believing this because the kids love Mike, but I guess I'll take his word for it.)

So, what is a mom to do?!!!  I will do what any other mom in my situation has done: teach him to play well with others, respect his authority, shut his mouth when he wants to open it, and learn to fight his own battles and trust that things will work out the way they are supposed to.  *sigh*

I hate that he's growing up, but I guess I need to get used to it.  That's just what moms do.



No comments:

Post a Comment