Sunday, June 23, 2013

Proverbs 31 Woman: Verse 13

"She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands." Proverbs 31:13

To continue our study of the Proverbs 31 woman, let's look at what wool and flax are. Wool, obviously, comes from sheep and is used for clothing, bed coverings, and other household linens. Flax is used to make linen, and is used for basically the same thing. The New English Translation reads this way, "She obtains wool and flax, and she is pleased to work with her hands."

We have to assume that this godly lady went and searched for these materials to clothe her family and to utilize them in her home.  It would take work on her part to do this.  Notice the second part of this verse, though, "She is pleased to work with her hands."  This makes me believe that, even though the work was hard, she didn't complain or do it with drudgery.  We need not be ashamed to do what the Lord has called us to do!  In this world of "career women,"  those who choose to stay out of the work force are often criticized and mistaken for being "lazy."  I can honestly say that I work harder being home with my children than I did when I worked a 40 hour work week. (For those who have already taken offense, I am NOT putting down women who have careers outside the home or who have to work because of financial situations.  As long as we can balance our families with work, I believe the choice is up to the individual as to what they decide. I actually liked working, so it was harder for me to give up my job when we moved.)

As women, the work around the house and the scheduling and planning has to be done by us.  We take the children to the doctor appointments, the dentist appointments, school activities, extracurricular activities, etc. We cook and clean and do laundry.  Some of us, myself included, even mow the lawn and take the trash out. We have to pack for vacations and trips.  (No, my husband is not lazy.  His job requires long hours, therefore, I pick up the slack at home.)  We get tired, moody, and grumpy.  (I do this quite often!)  However, we need to realize that we are the "keepers of the home" (Titus 2:5) and God has put a great responsibility on our shoulders, though it may not seem like it now.

Just know that what we are doing is important.  Our homes run smoother and we bring a security to the home that only we can do. We are providing for our husbands and children in the way God intended and we need to do so with a contented heart. Remember, "I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13




No comments:

Post a Comment