Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A New Tradition

Last year, after my dad passed away, my husband and I started a new tradition and decided to go on vacation during Thanksgiving.  My parents used to come up every other year and celebrate with us, but, Mom decided to stay home since it was too far to drive by herself.  It worked out well for all of us. She stayed home and celebrated with my siblings and their families and we enjoyed the week with our children. Last year, it was Gulf Shores, Alabama.  This year, it's Gatlinburg, Tennessee.  

It took everything in me to want to come back to Gatlinburg.  Not because it wasn't a fun place, but rather, because we used to vacation here with Mom and Dad.  It was one of Dad's favorite places.  Needless to say, I had a bittersweet moment when we first arrived in town and the tears started flowing.  I saw the bench across the street from the Aquarium where I took a picture of him and my girls, the go-carts where he watched my son drive by himself for the first time, and the Christmas shop where he got lost while looking for my mom.  Even our cabin, though it was a different one than the one we all stayed in, reminded me of how Dad loved to play the pin ball machine until the wee hours of the morning!

We've only been here a few hours, but I've finally got my emotions under control and have decided to enjoy my time with my husband and children.  We rented a cabin big enough for us to have our space and, yet, small enough to keep track of everyone.  Tonight, it's quiet and rainy, with a chance of sleet and ice overnight. We've never been here during the cold months, so this is a new adventure for us!

As I sit in front of the fireplace writing this, a glass of iced tea in hand (I could lie and say a cup of hot tea, but I'd rather not!), I am thankful for the memories I have with my Dad and so glad that we enjoyed our time together.  Now, it is off to bed so I can wake up and make new memories with my children! Til next time, sweet dreams!   

No comments:

Post a Comment