Saturday, November 23, 2013

Proverbs 31 Woman: Verse 16

It's been a while since I've continued my Proverbs 31 study.  I apologize for the delay.  Unfortunately, life sometimes happens.  Hopefully, there will be no more wrenches thrown into my plans for a while.  Let's begin.

"She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard."  Proverbs 31: 16

When I think of the Proverbs 31 lady, I am in awe.  Sometimes, I don't like her at all!! She seems to have it all together and always makes the wisest choices.  How could I ever measure up?  When I read this verse, I cringed.  I am not a budget guru.  As a matter of fact, I'd rather spend more for convenience than shop around.  According to the verse above, this wise lady devised a plan and used her own money to plant a vineyard, which, in turn, brought her more gain!  Wow!!!  I am just not that business savvy!

However, the more I read, the more I gain a little knowledge about what this verse is really saying.  We may not all be able to go out and buy real estate that would, in turn, earn us a few extra dollars, but we can learn to start with the little things.  Do I really need that new purse or new pair of shoes?  Is it wise to go out to eat when I have plenty of food in the pantry?  I can take the money I would've spent on an unnecessary purchase and put it back into my savings.

Also, we can learn to budget our money wisely.  I have friends who stopped excess spending and devised a plan that would allow them to pay off their bills and have extra spending money.  Guess what?  They are debt free today!! For those who can't seem to pull it off, there are books and free classes offered in the local community.

As women, a lot of us (but not all of us!), have a tendency to depend on our husbands to take care of the finances.  We need to learn how to take care of the finances, as well.  Nobody can predict when sickness, job loss, or even death will occur.  It is in our best interest to know how to be good stewards of those things which God has entrusted us with, including our money.

So, instead of being jealous of this Proverbs 31 lady, let's strive to be like her, even better.  Remember, you "can do all things through Christ which strengthens you!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment