Friday, November 8, 2013

What Do You Do All Day?

I'd like to answer that age-old question I get sometimes as a stay at home mom, or SAHM, as the professionals of us would say, "What do you do all day?"  Yeah, you know the one I'm talking about.  However, before I answer that question, I'd like to tell you what I don't do all day.

I don't leave my pajamas on all day until I decide it's necessary to change.  I don't prop my feet up on the couch while I watch television and eat bonbons.  I don't  leave dirty dishes in the sink or on the counter.  I don't leave laundry lying on the floor.  I don't leave my children to fend for themselves. I don't leave spilled milk on the counter to wipe itself up.  I don't leave the grass to cut itself.  I don't leave the crumbs on the floor so someone else could sweep them up (because we all know that won't ever happen).  I don't have my daughter drive herself to guitar lessons or my son to football practice.  I don't leave the grocery shopping for my husband after he gets off work.  I don't wait until the dog makes his vet appointment or the kids make their doctor's appointments.  I don't let the suitcases pack themselves before vacation.  Basically, I don't "do nothing" all day!!!

Now that we're clear on what I don't do, I think I have answered the question of what I actually do! So, to all my critics out there, would you like to trade in your career for one with no paycheck, no holiday pay, no sick days, no lunch breaks with friends, no retirement play?  I didn't think so.

I am glad I'm one of the few who lack because they have decided to make a choice that few could endure. I enjoy watching my children grow, listening to their stories, taking care of them because no one could do it better!  I love to share my time with them and influence them in making right choices.

Next time you want to criticize me for staying home with my children, try it first.  You might be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment