Sunday, December 8, 2013

Get Some Rest!

It's Sunday afternoon and I'm sitting inside with my children by a warm fire while snow is falling on the outside.  I came home from church with every intention of "getting a few things done."  Alas, my tired body beckoned me to rest for a while and I am so glad it did!

Since December (even the last of November!) has arrived, I have been busy trying to make out Christmas lists, planning birthday parties, scheduling doctor's appointments, running children to guitar lessons and school meetings, and countless other activities.  All have taken a toll on my mind, body, emotions, and my spiritual well-being.  I have decided it is time to slow down, take a deep breath, and relax.

One of the ways that I have learned to "relax" is to literally take a nap, even if for 15 minutes! If you can just shut your eyes and mind for a few minutes, you will be amazed at how much tension you release and how your thoughts seem to get reorganized.

I know it's hard for some of us to actually take a nap, so here's another choice: exercise that stress out of you! There are times when I have been so exhausted to do anything but sleep is not an option, so I find an activity to do or put in a DVD or Wii game and have at it!!!  It is amazing how much better I feel all the way around.  Also, exercise releases those little things called endorphins that promote an overall positive feeling and help reduce stress and depression. So, why not exercise?

One of my favorite things to do and the most helpful for me, is to pick up my Bible and grab all the passages that have to do with "rest" or "peace" and read them.  I find strength in knowing that the Creator of the universe still sees me and cares for me.  Through all of the chaos and stress of life, He puts peace in my mind and rest in my body.  "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you.  Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (John 14:27)  "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28)

One more thing I like to do?  Write it all out and post it in a blog for others to read! I feel better already!! Happy Sunday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment