Thursday, January 30, 2014

It's In Our Hands To Help

As I posted earlier, I recently started a position for a health network.  One aspect of this position is to sit and "shadow" some of the employees. Yesterday, I was able to do that for the first time. Let me tell you, it was an eye opener!!!

Whatever your political views are, they are irrelevant to what I witnessed yesterday.  So many people in our communities are struggling financially, emotionally, and physically.  No matter what they do, they cannot get a break.  It saddened me to see some of these people trying to make ends meet and how far behind in bills they are and can't afford doctor's visits.  We are supposed to be a "wealthy" nation and yet, we have people who are, literally, in poverty.  Some people are in their circumstances because they simply don't know any better.

Before you think of me as a "bleeding heart liberal," let me clarify and say that I am not.   However, I saw the other side of the fence today.  My point is that there are so many hurting people who need help and I sit in my nice, comfy home and pretend that my world is the only one that exists.  We have food on the table, decent vehicles, and clothes on our back.  My children have opportunities that others may not have.  We get to go on vacations, usually twice a year.  Yes, we have it pretty good and still find something to complain about on a daily basis.

As I drove home, I felt blessed beyond measure, but knew that I couldn't ignore any longer the plight of others.  I may not be able to save the world, but I can find someone that I can help to make their day just a little better.

Jesus said, "For ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good." (Mark 14:7)  Basically, when we have the resources to help those in need, we should do it.

There are plenty of ways we can all help:  donating to local charities,  feeding the homeless, visiting nursing homes and spending time with the patients, or just helping our neighbors.  It may be your money you give or just a bit of your time, but if we each do our part, we can change the world, one person at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment