Sunday, June 29, 2014

It's More Than A Vacation

It's been a while since I posted, so I guess I better catch up. Once summer hits, it seems all I do is run, run, run!  Oh, wait!  I do that in all seasons!

Have you ever been so busy that you have no time to turn around?  Well, that has been me the past couple of months.  We are preparing to go on vacation soon and I have much shopping to do and then packing.  I will need a vacation from vacation! It's a vicious cycle: you want to go somewhere and relax, but then you know you have to come home to structure and responsibilities. Not that I'm complaining.  I like routine and am a creature of habit.

We've decided to do something a little different this year.  In time's past, we selected one main spot and vacationed in that area.  Beaches have always been a favorite of ours.  However, this year, my daughter was nominated to a leadership program and will be visiting an Ivy League school for a week. This is where the fun begins!  We will spend our trip touring some of the New England states, four in all!

I will let you in on a little secret.  I love vacations simply because it is time that I have my whole family with me and we are just enjoying each other's company.  There is no running here or there. Whether we are camping or playing in the sand on the beach, we are together.  Time is precious and my children will be out of the house one of these days. I also appreciate the fact that my husband works hard to give us this time. In the beginning of starting our family, big vacations were out of the question, but we did what we could afford.

I have learned to be thankful for the things I have and the things I do not have.  Paul, in Philippians 4:11, said it like this, "Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."  Whether we go on vacations or not, my family and I are blessed.  I am content to be able to spend quality time with my children and to watch them grow and learn.  It is my privilege and, for that, I am thankful.



No comments:

Post a Comment