Friday, August 1, 2014

Our New England Adventure: The Start

It's 3:35 p.m. and I'm sitting in a motel room in Ogunquit, Maine.  We dropped our daughter off earlier this week at Harvard  as part of a leadership program.  I miss her terribly, even though I will see her in a couple of days.  My family and I decided to spend the week in New England while she attended the program.

We started out Friday from our home and started driving east.  Our first driving break came somewhere in New York.  After bypassing the city (but not the traffic!), we stopped off at a quiet, little park where a couple of parents were out playing with their children.  We then drove to our first destination: Connecticut. We made a quick trip overnight, but we were able to make a quick detour at Yale University and see the campus before stopping.  It was a beautiful, sleepy town. There weren't as many people there because of the summer break, but the quaintness of it was like something you see in a magazine. The view of the water and the sounds of the seagulls only made the visit more surreal.

We then drove a few more miles and stayed in a little hotel in New London, resting before continuing our journey to drop our girl off in Boston.

This is the first time our family has ever gone on vacation where one of us was not here.  My husband keeps telling me that we need to get used to it.  She'll be going off to college in a year.  But I don't want to talk about that.

New England, so far, is beautiful.  Vegetation is greener and the salty air fills the nostrils with the smell of the ocean.  Cool air has replaced the heat that we are so accustomed to back home.  It is the perfect place to relax.

Continue with me as I share some of our experiences over the next few days.  Blessings until next post!


Ducks in a pond, somewhere in NY. 


The welcome sign at Yale University.  



No comments:

Post a Comment