Wednesday, November 12, 2014

He is Strength in the Storms

I woke up to sun and clear skies.  In the blink of an eye, it all turned dark and gray and the rain and storms came.  There was no forecast for thunderstorms.  It was supposed to be sunny and gorgeous...a perfect day!  There was no warning and the umbrella and the raincoat were left behind!

Sometimes, life comes at us like the elements.  One minute, skies are sunny, flowers are bright and colorful, grass is green.  The next, gray clouds, wilted flowers and grass, and dark, dirty mud everywhere.  We are not prepared for the "bad weather" that hits us in a matter of seconds. Our world falls apart and we are left wondering, "What happened?"

When my dad passed away, I was not prepared for the grief or depression that took over.  Yes, I knew that he would not be with us for very long, but I was not prepared for the emotions that hit so suddenly.  Whether it's death, financial crisis, job loss, divorce, or any other traumatic "storm" in our life, we are never prepared for the destruction that follows in it's wake.

During my personal prayer and devotion time this morning, I reflected on some of the biggest storms of my life and how in the world I got through them.  As I read my Bible, Philippians 4:13 came to mind, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (KJV)  He never said we would have it easy, but that he would be our strength in the hard times.  This does not mean we won't feel the emotions or grief that usually come with tragic circumstances in our life, but that we can make it through, no matter how hard it is!

I have often been asked, "How did you not go crazy when that happened?" There is a peace that only Jesus can bring.  When situations and circumstances start spinning out of control and we think there is no way back, the Lord is the anchor that holds us in place, if we allow him.

I have learned that there is no place I would rather be than in the hands of a God who loves me and cares for me and has my best interest at heart. "And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:7 (KJV)


No comments:

Post a Comment