Tuesday, November 4, 2014

It's Election Day...Vote!!!

As a concerned citizen who loves her country, I did my duty today and voted.  I had a conversation with my husband earlier this morning about how it won't matter in the county we live in, but I couldn't help myself...I wanted to put my two cents worth in and vote.  I was amazed at how long the line was, so, apparently, there were more people who had the same thought process in their minds.  

I recently did some research online about how voting has changed over the course of time. Let me give you a very short history lesson on what voting means to me.  Do you realize that over two hundred years ago, only white males who owned property were allowed to vote?  In 1870, the right to vote was given to everyone regardless of "race, color, or previous condition of servitude."  (Former male slaves were able to vote.)  Not until 1920 did women get the right to vote and not until 1965 did African Americans truly get the freedom to vote!  No, I do not take this for granted.

It doesn't matter what side of the issues you are on, if you don't vote, you can't complain! So, get out there and make your voice count!



No comments:

Post a Comment