Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Don't Let the Presents Outweigh His Presence

"'Tis the season to be jolly!!" Do you feel that way?  I can honestly say those words do not mirror my sentiment at all.  Each year, I am determined to change my mind set and celebrate the season the way it is supposed to be celebrated.  But, each year, I feel the pressures of shopping, cooking, baking, and buying call to me.  Don't even get me started on the Christmas cards! (I have yet to fill any out this year.)

Earlier, I was reading some statistics on Christmas.  According to Pew Research's "Celebrating Christmas and the Holidays, Then and Now," the younger generation is getting further and further away from the "religious" part of it. Younger adults are less likely to incorporate religious aspects into their holiday. However, there are still a good number of people who believe in the virgin birth and celebrate it as a Christian holiday.

Am I, as a parent, showing my children the true meaning of Christmas and the reason we celebrate it in our family?  Or, are they just seeing the stress and worry that Mom takes on during this most celebrated of seasons?  Are they looking as it as a day to get gifts only? Do the presents outweigh his presence?

As I sit here pondering all these questions, I realize it is not too late to show the true meaning of Christmas to my children.  They have experienced our love as parents, but it is my responsibility to show them how much God loves each of them.  It is my responsibility to help them understand that he loved them so much that he would come to this earth as a baby and, later, give us the greatest gift...death on a cross.

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The Mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6

I am ready to throw away the stress of the season and display the true meaning of Christmas! He is the reason for the season!







No comments:

Post a Comment