Thursday, January 15, 2015

My Season

"Why don't you write in your blog all the time?" was the question asked by my husband.  We were on our way to pick up our daughter's car, after we had it towed to the auto repair shop the day before.

As I turned to him, I didn't hesitate when I answered, "I work part-time, sometimes eight hours a day. I homeschool. I run the kids to and from doctor's appointments. I clean the house and do laundry. I run errands.  I'm involved in church.  Those are just a few of the things I do.  By the time I am finished for the day, it's time to go to bed." Enough said.  He smiled and nodded.

I don't begrudge the things I do for my family.  I enjoy taking care of them, even my husband.  I think God gave women a nurturing nature for that very reason. I also realize I am not the only woman with this problem.  I admire mothers who work full-time and still have time to do all the previously mentioned duties.

I pondered my husband's question a few days later and realized that, right now, I am living in a season where my family needs me more than anything else.  Everything else has to be second place. My children won't be with me forever.  There will come a time-sooner than later!-that I will have time to do what I want but wish my children were around to argue with each other, run to doctor's appointments, and help with homework. I will miss the dirty football uniforms in the laundry, the hairspray and bobby pins thrown all over the sink, and the bedrooms strewn with clothes. I will miss watching my husband tease the kids mercilessly and watch them giggle at his silly jokes. I will wonder where the time has gone and wish I could get it back.

For now, I will enjoy my time with them and continue to write when I can. I will let the frustration at putting my desires on the back burner dissolve while I watch my children grow up around me.  It will be a season to nurture and grow, not only for them, but for me. To my husband, Scott, I hope this answers your question more completely.

"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

No comments:

Post a Comment