Thursday, December 31, 2015

Write From the Heart...Send A Letter

Recently, my youngest daughter and I took a trip to Barnes & Noble and, as I was perusing through the stack of classic literature, I noticed another shelf held several beautifully drawn designs on elegant sheets of paper and miniature cards.  As I picked up a few boxes, I realized I haven't written a really heart felt letter to anyone in a long time.

I used to pour out my heart in letters and cards, give my sympathy through a hand-written note, or even write words of encouragement and faith to someone who needed it at the time. I barely wrote my signature on our Christmas cards this year. What happened? I believe that not only has technology taken away that very personal communication, hand written and face to face, but the "busy-ness" of everyday living has caused us to miss out on blessing someone else through our words.

While we were dating, my husband would leave little notes on my car.  Sometimes, he wrote poems. Other times, it was just a simple "I love you."  No matter what he wrote, it always filled me with excitement to see that he had taken the time to write a personal note just for me.  I knew that he had put his heart into the lovely words that I read on those sheets of paper. I still have every letter he ever wrote me and will occasionally get them out and read them.

More recently, I received a Christmas card and a personal message from the sender telling me that she was praying for me.  It wasn't an elaborate message but I knew it came from her heart. What made it even more special was that I wasn't expecting it. She took the time out of her busy life to sit down and share a part of herself.  

Before we left Barnes & Noble, I picked up a couple of boxes of those note cards and took them to the checkout counter with me.  I am going to spend a little more time sharing myself with others through the written word this year.  I pray that each word I write will bless others.

"My heart is inditing a good matter: I speak of the things which I have made touching the king: my tongue is the pen of a ready writer." Psalm 45:1

My new purchases...beautifully designed note cards. 




No comments:

Post a Comment