Thursday, July 21, 2016

Our Children Are Our Heritage...Let's Build On Those Relationships

If you know me, then you will know I'm a little "obsessive compulsive."  I like odd numbers because there's a perfect middle, straight rows of shoes, towels hung up neatly, and other little "quirks." However, I am not a big decorator.  My home is simple and quite plain by others' standards.  I don't have a lot of artwork on the wall, just scattered family pictures throughout.  However, one thing I have is some of my children's artwork that they have created over the years. They are actually hanging up throughout the house.

As I watch my children grow up and start becoming adults, I realize that time does not stand still for anyone.  The things I thought were important when I was younger-career, big home, fancy car-changed as I started having children.  There is nothing wrong with having those things, if you can afford it, but don't let those things take priority over your children or family.

I have found that keeping a neat home and having everything "perfect" does not give me the satisfaction like seeing "Happy Mother's Day" made out of construction paper hanging on the wall does. Every time I think I want to take it down, I can't.  It's just too precious to me. My middle child made that and took the time to cut out every piece and find a place to hang it where I would see it.  I smile every morning as I open my bedroom door and see it.


"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." 
Proverbs 22:6


We all want our children to be successful; however, shouldn't that include being successful in their relationships, as well?  Letting our children know how precious they are to us is just as important as helping them find the right career path, if not more important.  Now, I'm not saying you have to hang their artwork or doodles on the wall. My point is to find a way to show them how important they are to you, however that may be. Their relationship with you is more important than anything. It will pave the way for them to have meaningful relationships in their own lives.



"Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward."
Psalm 127:3




Some of my children's artwork that hangs on my walls. 






No comments:

Post a Comment