Tuesday, June 27, 2017

25 Years And Still In Love!

I celebrated my anniversary with my husband today. It is a milestone...25 years! When we first got married, many people didn't think we would make it. We were young and in love and decided to run off and take our vows. We didn't even tell our parents. We asked some friends to stand up with us and they did. They tried to be the voice of reason, which I can appreciate now, but we still did what we wanted.

When our parents found out, as suspected, they were upset. I didn't understand then but, now that I am a mother, I get it. When you are young, you don't look at things logically. Your heart overrides your head. You just know that you want to spend the rest of your life with that person.

We had a rough year but, eventually, got through it. There were several more to come but we stuck it out. We refused to give up, even when we so badly wanted to do so. Situations would come that would throw us for a loop. We didn't have the experience or wisdom to handle them appropriately, as most couples can attest. However, we pushed through them.

The years went by and we became comfortable with one another. Our children were born and life took a different turn. All of our time was spent on them with little left over for each other. One morning, we woke up and both realized that we had put our marriage on a back burner and needed to work on that. Though our children were still at home, they were old enough to be responsible and have a little more independence from Mom and Dad. It was time to get back that spark we had been missing for so long.

We started "dating" and taking time our for each other. Holding hands became commonplace again. Kisses and affection became reality once more. The kids found it yucky but we found it necessary.

Fast forward to this day. My 25th anniversary was a big deal to me. I wanted to do something special and thought of it all month. However, with work and taking care of the family, time seemed to have slipped by me and all my plans went awry. I figured that since we were going to be on vacation with the family, he probably didn't have time to do anything, either. Boy, was I wrong!

After taking a shower, I slipped into my room to change. There, lying on the bed, was a card written in my husband's handwriting. I read it and tears sprang to my eyes. He had put so much thought into that card and what he said that I was speechless. Then, guilt set in. Out of all of the anniversaries we have had, why did I not put more effort into this one? Why not send myself a constant reminder that this was an important one? Even he laughed at the irony of me doing this and not him. It was as if we reversed roles.

I said all of that to say this: it wasn't about the card, but the sentiment and thoughtfulness he put into it. He didn't care if I got him a card or not, but the words he wrote on mine were priceless. It really is the little things that matter in life.

I love that man more now than I did when we first got married. We may be comfortable with each other and not be as romantic as we once were. Sometimes, life gets in the way of our plans. Children still need us. Responsibilities and priorities come in different ways and at different times, but that does not mean there is no love or that we should throw in the towel. It's during those tests and trials that we realize that we were meant to spend our lives together. That, to me, is real love.

Happy anniversary, babe! I love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment