Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Holy Smoke!!!

White Smoke ascended out of the Vatican today!  A new pope for the Roman Catholic Church!  Though I haven't been Catholic for a very long time (26 years to be exact!), I can relate to the anticipation they are feeling.  The Catholic church has a lot of influence over other religious sects and their decisions: Lutherans, Methodists, even some Presbyterians and Protestants.  I'm sure it's influence reaches far beyond my scope of imagination.  (However, I can honestly say that the church I belong to now--and I stress the church!!!--is NOT influenced by the Catholic church.  Why?  Wait for it...we date back to the book of Acts in the New Testament.  Apostolic Pentecostalism!!! Yep! We're "tongue talkin', holy rollin', born again believers in the power of Jesus' name!"  We believe in repentance, full immersion baptism in Jesus' name (which, if you read Catholic church history, they did, too!!), and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues.  We do get loud in our worship!  Anything we do, we can site Biblical examples.  And, no, it wasn't just for "back then," because if that were the case, the whole Bible would've been void...and even the Catholic church has some Biblical influence as to what they believe.)

So, my original point is to stress how this new pope will influence the world as we know it now.  Will he uphold the previous popes' views of abortion and homosexuality, women in the role of priest, marriage for the priests, and other major Catholic church doctrines?  It will be interesting to see what transpires in the next few months and years.

Read more about the new pope at:
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/13/cardinals-elect-new-pope/?hpt=hp_t1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

My Season

"Why don't you write in your blog all the time?" was the question asked by my husband.  We were on our way to pick up our daug...