Sunday, July 14, 2013

Maxi Dress to Maxi Skirt

I am not a seamstress...at all. My sister was born with those genes. I love the long, cute, maxi skirts that I've seen the girls wear. You know, the ones that only fit women who are size 0? I wanted to make my own, but my time was limited. So, I found an easy solution to the problem.

I was in Meijer's the other day and saw a maxi dress that I really liked. Yes, I know it wasn't a skirt. But here's where my "skills" come in handy. (Or, my lack thereof.) I decided to cut the top off and make a skirt with the bottom half.

Basically, I measured where I wanted the waist to be and added about 3" for the waistband. I cut the top part off after measuring. (I did have to take in the sides a little because I bought one that was just a little bigger than I was.) I folded the waistband over, allowing some room for the elastic to be put in after sewing. I pinned it and basted around the waistband, leaving a small opening to put the elastic through. Next, I pulled the elastic through with a safety pin, sewed the gap closed and...voila!!! A skirt is born!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

My Season

"Why don't you write in your blog all the time?" was the question asked by my husband.  We were on our way to pick up our daug...