Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A New Year With New Goals!

Out with the old, in with the new!  Just a few hours left in 2013 and people are getting ready to celebrate the end of another year, making resolutions that, after a few weeks or even days, go by the wayside.  They start off with good intentions, but either make unrealistic expectations or just get bored with the attempts at keeping them.  Believe me, I've been one of those people. This year, however, I am not making far-fetched "resolutions," but have decided to set some more realistic "goals" for my life.

"And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful."  Revelation 21:5

The first thing on my list of goals is to shake off some destructive relationships and to work on those that are productive.  "Destructive" meaning those that have not edified but have taken something from me and refuse to give back.  Relationships should be about giving and taking, a good balance.  When you constantly take from others, you are destroying the healthy part of that relationship.  Then there are those relationships that are just plain destructive.  They are jealous, never bending, and selfish.  I have vowed to shake loose of those in 2014!  As for "productive,"  those are the relationships that build each other up and give freely. It includes love, patience, kindness, long-suffering, gentleness, and goodness.  These are traits I want to work on for the coming year.  To be a better friend, wife, mother, Christian.

Next on my list is for my walk with God to be stronger than ever: more prayer, church, fasting, tithing, giving, being involved, and loving others.  The first few of these things are just a given.  It is required Biblically. I have no problem adhering to these, especially because it doesn't really involve me interacting with others. However, the last two are so very hard for me.  When people offend or hurt me, I have a tendency to be done with them.  No second chances.  And love them?  No way!  But I realize that offenses will come and that if I am trying to be like Jesus, I will have to forgive and love others.  Yep, I am doing some heavy duty praying about this one! I need all the help I can get!

My third goal for 2014 is to at least start on my book.  I have written down several ideas and thoughts about a book that I feel has been inspired by God.  Unfortunately, after getting every thing accomplished that I need to during the day, I lack the creative energy at the end of the day to work on anything else.  Writing is a passion of mine that I have let suffer far too long.  This year, it is my goal to work on, not only improving it, but being productive about it.  Of this, I will keep you posted.  Who knows, maybe I'll share an excerpt from my book with you.

Another goal of mine is to be more financially independent.  My husband works hard and takes care of the bills and all of our finances.  This year, I have decided to get my finances in order and to start saving aside from anything we have together. I am not a "saver" and will pay more just because of convenience. It is time to change my attitude about money and start saving, not only to benefit my future but that of my family's, also.

Lastly, I am "letting go and letting God!" In other words, not my will be done, but His will.  He knows my end from my beginning, so why do I stress and worry?  He loves me and wants what's best for me, even when I can't see it! He wants me to succeed and will help me get to my goals if I put my trust in him!  I am taking the lid off of any preconceived ideas so the impossible can become the possible!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected (hopeful) end." Jeremiah 29:11 

These may not be fantastic goals, or "resolutions," if you must, but they are attainable.  With God's help, I am hoping that at the end of 2014, I can tell you that I am a changed person and God has truly answered my prayers!

Have a blessed and happy New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

My Season

"Why don't you write in your blog all the time?" was the question asked by my husband.  We were on our way to pick up our daug...