Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Prayer...The Most Important Thing You Can Do For Your Children

It is amazing how time flies! My daughter had a registration day on Saturday on campus at the college she will be attending this fall.  As I went from session to session with her and listened to all the information regarding her freshman year, all I could think was, "Is this really happening? When did she grow up?"

As I watched her and the confidence she exuded in talking with different students and professors, I just couldn't believe that I had a hand in who she has become...and it was a wonderful feeling! My little girl was now a self-assured young woman.  

I may not be the perfect parent, but I realize that time with my children is precious.  We only have so many years and then they have to go out on their own and make decisions without us, even life-changing decisions.  It is in those times that we have to pray for them and to trust God to lead them and for them to let him lead them.  

Ever since my children were born, I began to pray for them.  It was and still is the most important thing for me to do for them.  Sure, I have to nurture them and take care of them, but, in order to do that, I need God's guidance. We may not have the words to say, but he is the Word and has given us the Bible to help us.  

The Lord sees our heart and hears what we are trying to say, even when we don't.  However, he has given us the Bible to direct us.  Below, are just a few verses that you can use to pray over your children:

"The Lord bless thee, and keep thee: the Lord make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: the Lord lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. (Numbers 6:24-26)

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 5:16)

"Be careful for nothing: but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known unto God." (Philippians 4:6)

"And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes. And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates." Deuteronomy 6:6-9 

"For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the Lord, to do justice and judgment; that the Lord may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him."  (Genesis 18:19)

"Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it." (Proverbs 22:6)

"All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children." (Isaiah 54:13)


*****

Pray that the Lord keeps them and that they follow his spirit! Pray for peace over their mind and that they find favor wherever they go! Pray for the Lord's perfect will in your children's lives.  Pray that they hide the word in their hearts! Instill it in them by having them read it or by reading it to them! Pray that they understand that they will make mistakes but they can repent and Jesus is willing to forgive!  

No matter what my children do in life or what they accomplish, my greatest prayer in life is that I can say, "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth." (3 John 1:4)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

My Season

"Why don't you write in your blog all the time?" was the question asked by my husband.  We were on our way to pick up our daug...