Friday, November 27, 2015

Reminiscing and a Thankful Heart

"Turkey is done!" Mom yelled from the kitchen.

My dad was laying down and Scott and the kids were watching a movie.  I was doing my best to help Mom, but I was never one who liked being in the kitchen.  Dad and Mom alternated between coming to visit us and staying home each year for Thanksgiving.  It was too hard for my siblings to travel to our house, so we took turns with our parents.  This year, it was our turn.

As we all clamored to the table, our mouths began to water at the sight of all the food that was prepared and filled the table: pies, mashed potatoes, gravy, chicken and dumplings, cranberry sauce, green beans, sweet potatoes, and the succulent turkey.  What a feast! We all bowed our heads as Dad said a prayer of thanksgiving.

The conversation centered around the food and how nice the weather was for this time of year. The sun couldn't get any brighter and the crisp, cold air seemed to add to the atmosphere.  The kids shared their own stories with Grandma and Grandpa and laughed at the silly jokes my dad told. There was nothing like family, food and fun! We celebrated Thanksgiving that year with full bellies and warm hearts.
****

It was the last Thanksgiving we celebrated with my parents. My mom has not been here on Thanksgiving since my dad passed away three years ago.  I look around the table and am thankful for my children, but miss those precious moments we had with Mom and Dad.  It makes me realize that time should be cherished and we need to enjoy every moment we have with our loved ones.

I sigh with contentment, realizing that I am thankful for what is in front of me.  My babies are growing up but they are still at home.  They still need me. My husband and I are getting ready to enter another season in our lives in just a few short years. One of these days, we will have grandchildren.  These are the moments I live for each and every day.


My parents, taken  around the last Thanksgiving we celebrated together.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

My Season

"Why don't you write in your blog all the time?" was the question asked by my husband.  We were on our way to pick up our daug...