Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Simple To Sew Casual Knit Skirt

I'm finally taking some time to work on my blog.  I created a new design and tried to revamp the way it looks, but it's been a chore trying to carve out some time to write or work on projects to post. However, I finally completed a skirt I had started weeks ago.

A friend and I have been getting together on Mondays to sew (though, we mainly just chat!) and she has given me some ideas and motivation to get in touch with my "inner seamstress."  So, while going through some material at JoAnn Fabrics, I found some that would be perfect for a skirt and it was on clearance!  It's a stretch knit but it's heavier.  It was easy to sew, too.  You can use any knit material but since the weather is turning cooler, this works well.

What you need:
-Fabric, about a yard and a half or two, depending on your size
-Elastic for waistband (I used 1/2")
-Thread

 1.) I measured around the waist and added 5/8" for seam allowance.  The skirt I made works well when I sewed it a little tighter because of the fabric.  If you prefer, you can make a more "flowing" skirt. I cut off the excess. 


2.) Next, I pinned the fabric, right sides together and sewed down using my 5/8" seam allowance.  Afterwards, I went back and used a zigzag stitch to make the seam look more professional.  This is an alternative if you don't have a serger, which I don't.  As you can see by the picture, it makes the seam look neater.




3.) After sewing the right sides together, turn down the waist about a 1/2" and sew.  Then, turn down again, making sure your elastic will fit after you sew casing.  BE SURE TO LEAVE AN OPENING TO PUT YOUR ELASTIC THROUGH!!! 

I used a zigzag stitch so it will stretch with the fabric.  I learned that a straight stitch will pop and rip on knit or stretchy fabrics. 


4.) When you are finished sewing the casing, put a safety pin at one end of your elastic and push through the opening in the casing.  Then, try the skirt on and measure where the elastic fits around your waist.  Sew where the ends meet and cut off the excess.  Sew the opening shut.  (See how nice the zigzag stitch looks?!)



5.) Finally, hem the skirt and, again, use the zigzag stitch if you are using the machine.  Voila! Your skirt is now ready to wear!  My lovely daughter was my model for the skirt.  Didn't she do a fantastic job?! :)







No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

My Season

"Why don't you write in your blog all the time?" was the question asked by my husband.  We were on our way to pick up our daug...