Friday, January 15, 2016

He Can Make You Into Something New and Different

Today was cold and rainy and I was not motivated to do too much.  After working for a while and helping the kids with their schoolwork, I decided to take a little jaunt to my local quilt shop.  Nothing like shopping for fabric to get you motivated to start a new project!

As I was perusing all the wonderful and colorful fabric (amidst the renovation they were doing), I had an epiphany.  Okay, maybe it wasn't an "epiphany" so much as a really cool thought.  For me, anyway.

When you go into a quilt shop and pick out fabric, you usually use it to make a quilt.  However, for me, I was actually looking at material to make a skirt.  It may not be what one would usually use it for, but I thought it might look cute.  It was deep red with white vines meandering throughout the material.  Very cute!

Though the material I bought was made for quilts, I could see in it potential to be something else. Through patience, time, and work, it will be what I want it to be. The same for people. In life, when we deal with others and watch them grow in the Lord, we don't see who they can become but who they are at that moment. We see all of the baggage they may bring and the preconceived ideas, as well as the emotional damage that they sometimes are carrying.  Jesus sees a person who can be transformed into his image and be used greatly for his kingdom.  He sees what they can become with lots of love and nurture and guidance from the body, his church. We look at their past without ever giving them a chance.  He looks at their future and says, "They are going to be great!"

It doesn't matter where we come from, what our pedigree is, or how others view us.  Our past does not determine our future.  God can take what we are and use it and mold it. It's up to us to be willing.

"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." 2 Corinthians 5:17

You are a new person when you start living for the Lord.  Don't let what others have said, or, what even you have thought about yourself, determine where you are going or who you are becoming.  He bought you with a price and loves you more than you can imagine.  He has great things in store for you if you hold onto his promises and trust him. 

Now, I think I will go take a look at that fabric again.  Who knows? Maybe I'll decide to make something else with it. 



My new material! Won't it look better as a skirt than a quilt? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

My Season

"Why don't you write in your blog all the time?" was the question asked by my husband.  We were on our way to pick up our daug...