Sunday, March 27, 2016

Easter Away From Home and Its True Meaning To Me

This is the first year we have been gone on Easter and I am still adjusting to not being able to go to our Sunday service at church.  My husband decided to buy some eggs and let the kids color them, regardless of us not being back home.  I even bought them baskets full of candy!  (My kids say it's one of my "missing my babies being babies" moments. I guess it's true.)

Though I am a creature of habit and hate to get out of routine, I will tell you that I am enjoying time away with my family.  As I looked out the balcony where we are staying, I watched the storm clouds roll in and the waves come crashing on the beach.  It made me think of how big our God really is and that he has everything in his hands.  He showed his greatness in the creation around us, yet he still gave his life to save us.  How awesome is that?!!

As my thoughts continued, I thought about the suffering that Jesus went through, what went on from the time he died to the time he rose from the grave.  How did the earth react?  Did it know that the great Savior was going to rise again?  Did it prepare itself?  Was there anticipation in the air throughout the city?  Were people feeling excitement?  What a glorious day it must have been when they realized that he was not dead but alive!

I think the oceans must have been somewhat like they are today, rolling, thundering billows foaming on the sand, waiting for that time when their creator rose from the grave.  It is amazing that the great Creator of the universe would see fit to include me in his plans.  How small and insignificant I am compared to the vastness of the universe and the splendor of the world he created, yet he died for me! How amazing is that?!

As I watch my children color the eggs and laugh and have a good time, I don't want those things to ever overshadow what happened on that cross so many years ago. We can never, ever repay him for the blood he shed.

So, throughout the busy-ness of church, family dinners, and all the holiday celebrations, let us not forget what it is really about. "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13)  Have a blessed Easter, everyone!   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

My Season

"Why don't you write in your blog all the time?" was the question asked by my husband.  We were on our way to pick up our daug...