Monday, April 25, 2016

Easy Sew Dress...My First Garment That Fits!

I did it! I finally finished a dress from a pattern! Okay, so it isn't that remarkable to most of you, but it is a big accomplishment for me.  My sewing abilities are limited and there are a lot of flaws on this dress, but I still did it! So...nana nana boo boo!  (Yeah, I'm being juvenile, but I'm so ecstatic!)

Anyway, let me get serious. I used a basic, easy pattern I bought from Joann Fabrics and bought all of my material and tools there, as well.  I bought the fabric on clearance, just in case I messed up.



I read over the pattern several times before cutting the pieces. Be sure you don't use the size of the RTW (ready to wear) clothes you have but that you take your measurements and base the size of the pattern you need on those. Make sure you do that with any pattern you use. The sizing is different for RTW. I found that out the hard way. 


After reading the pattern and cutting out the pieces, I made sure I had all of my materials and tools that I needed.  Again, make sure you read the package to see what you need. 



I pinned all of my pieces to the fabric according to the directions on the pattern.  I am going to be honest and tell you that I used YouTube videos to help me understand this. I am not a professional seamstress, so I am not even going to try to go there. You can find anything on YouTube, so utilize that tool! 

After a week of cutting, pinning, sewing, breaking my needle, and ripping out several seams along the way, I finally finished my dress!  


The internet and Pinterest are full of helpful tutorials to using patterns. I am a rookie but I actually finished it and am proud of the end product. You can get cheap patterns and clearance material to practice, so consider that before trying to sew a garment fit for Project Runway. Most of all, take your time and have fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

My Season

"Why don't you write in your blog all the time?" was the question asked by my husband.  We were on our way to pick up our daug...